After the massacre, the retreating German forces and the Allies who were chasing them, also passed through the Monte Sole area and its 3 municipalities: Marzabotto, Monzuno, Grizzana. From autumn 1944 to April 1945 Monte Sole and the surrounding area was bombed, as the Gothic line was breached and the German army retreated towards Bologna.
By April 1945, the Monte Sole area had been completely devastated.
In the municipality of Marzabotto a lot was destroyed: 15 roads, 11 bridges, 5 school buildings, 2 public buildings, 11 cemeteries, 9 churches, 5 oratories, more than 800 private houses (out of a total of 943), the paper factory of Lama di Reno, [two other factories], fields, vineyards and woods were destroyed and mined. The cattle were taken or killed: 2556 cows; 928 pigs; 534 sheep and goats; 1782 poultry. Farm machinery was destroyed: 80 mowers, 649 carts, 56 sowers, 353 ploughs, 528 harrows. In the municipality of Grizzana: 95 houses [were destroyed] and 291 were damaged, 3 churches, 5 cemeteries, 1 hemp factory, 57 km of roads were made impassable, 2 bridges and the whole water supply system together with the electrical and telephone/telegraph system [were put out of action]. [They] completely destroyed the railway stations and several bridges. All the fields were mined and ravaged: orchards, vineyards, woods. Hundreds of head of cattle were taken or killed....the town [of Monzuno] was completely razed to the ground.
Source: Renato Giorgi, Marzabotto speaks, Marsilio, Bologna, 1955, p140-141